Dr. Tang was a member of the Ottawa Mayor’s Hi-Tech Deleagation to China organized by the Ottawa Center for Research and Innovation.
Dr. Tang with Ottawa Mayor Larry O’Brien
Beijing was the primary stop on the mission. Meetings in Beijing included:
• A briefing by the Canadian Ambassador to China, David Mulroney, to the entire delegation on the opportunity in China and the positive effects of the recent visit by Prime Minister Harper. The business delegation also received a general briefing by Trade Commissioner staff followed by individual meetings with the Trade Commissioners and briefings on their individual schedules;
• A visit by the Mayor to the Urban Planning Exhibition Hall to receive a briefing on the plan for the growth of Beijing and an introduction to the lead artisans who will be constructing Beijing’s gateway gift to Ottawa;
• A Roundtable with the Beijing Energy-saving and Environment Protection Centre (BEEC) on the strategy to implement a low carbon environment in China;
• An official meeting between Mayor O’Brien and Mayor Guo, together with a formal signing ceremony;
• A banquet hosted by Mayor Guo to welcome Mayor O’Brien and his delegation;
• A Canada-China ICT/Cleantech cross-investment seminar jointly hosted by OCRI and Z-Park to encourage trade and investment between Beijing and Ottawa based on the exploration of joint projects;
• Meetings between the Mayor and Plasco officials and the China Energy Conservation Investment Corporation to discuss the potential of a partnership to introduce the Plasco technology into China;
• Meetings between the Mayor and Plasco with the Beijing Environment and Sanitation Engineering Group to discuss a Plasco pilot plant in Beijing;
• Meetings between Ottawa Tourism and the Yanqing Badling Special Zone;
• Company CEOs followed individual programs as developed by the Canadian Trade Commissioners;
• A thank you banquet hosted by Mayor O’ Brien for the officials from the Beijing government and Beijing company officials who had met with the delegation.
Dr. Tang with Beijing Mayor Guo Jinlong
Major Outcomes from the visit to Beijing included:
• Signing of MOU of Continuing Cooperation between Beijing and Ottawa.
• Signing of Cooperation Agreement between OCRI and Beijing Investment Promotion Bureau.
• Signing of MOU between Ottawa Tourism and Yanqing Badaling Special Zone Administrative Center for Twinning Project of Rideau Canal and Great Wall.
• Signing of MOU between Plasco and Beijing Environment and Sanitation Engineering Group (BESEG).
• Signing of MOU between Plasco and China Energy Conservation Investment Corporation (CECIC).
• Beijing Energy Conservation & Environmental Protection Centre (BEEC) has committed to sending a delegation to Ottawa.
• Mr. ZHOU Yunfan, Deputy Director of Zhongguancun Science Park committed to leading a delegation of Z-Park companies to visit Ottawa.
Dr. Tang giving a lecture on cleantech investment at the Canada-China ICT/Cleantech Cross-Investment Seminar held in the Z-Park